/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }
Powered by Blogger
         
About
Hi, this is my blog for all sorts of pro-life news, statistics, stories, and personal ventings. I am a wife and mother, as well as a nursing student. I I truly believe that abortion has failed women, and will continue to do so as long as it is legal.


Links


Previous

Archives


Extras

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Trust and why Post Abortive Mothers are More Likely to Commit Child Abuse

My son is just beginning to really understand the concept of trust. He's 11 months and has just started to be a little weary of strangers(he used to jump smiling into the arms of anyone who looked at him!) Now, he looks back at me for approval. He understands, cognitively or not, that I will protect him.

He is already asserting his relationship with my husband and I. With Oliver he plays and giggles and crawls and claps. He loves his daddy. They're buddies. He knows his daddy will play with him and love him and, if mommy isn't there feed and change him. They have a great relationship.

Holden expects different things from me. I represent safety. It is not uncommon for Holden to reach out to Oliver to come play while clinging to me to keep him secure. When he's exploring the wonders of our kitchen, he likes knowing that there is a safe mommy lap to crawl into. He recognizes that no matter what, his daddy and mommy will be there.

When I think about that I get a little upset that so many children can not claim such trust. I know I never could. My mother was busy, and I wasn't her child as much as I was another thing checked off her "to do list".

In a society where we claim "every child a wanted child!" I find it disturbing how many of these supposed "wanted children" have such trust and attachment issues. I think in our age of pregnancy termination parents have stopped trusting themselves.

I read a study regarding child abuse rates of post abortive women compared to their abortion free peers. The numbers were staggering. Could it be that when a woman betrays her child's trust in the ultimate way she is no longer able to have a trusting relationship with any subsequent child?

I would like to find more research on the subject. I think abortion has done more of a disservice to our society than we could ever have foreseen.

The study found that " Compared to women with no history of perinatal loss, those with one loss (voluntary or involuntary) had a 99% higher risk for child physical abuse, and women with multiple losses were 189% more likely to physically abuse their children. Compared to women with no history of induced abortion, those with one prior abortion had a 144% higher risk for child physical abuse."

Dr. Priscilla Coleman, associate professor of human development and family studies at Bowling Green State University and the study's lead author, noted, "Emotional problems and unresolved grief responses associated with the abortion could hinder effective parenting by reducing parental responsiveness to child needs, interfering with parent-child attachment processes, or by instilling anger, a common symptom of grief."

Looks like my instincts were pretty dead on.

Coleman, P. K., D. C. Maxey, C. Coyle, and V. Rue. "Associations between voluntary and involuntary forms of perinatal loss and child maltreatment among low income, single mothers." Acta Paediatrica 94 (2005).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


This template design was made by Akshamala at www.throughmyview.com