/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }
Powered by Blogger
         
About
Hi, this is my blog for all sorts of pro-life news, statistics, stories, and personal ventings. I am a wife and mother, as well as a nursing student. I I truly believe that abortion has failed women, and will continue to do so as long as it is legal.


Links


Previous

Archives


Extras

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Barriers




We talk about barrier methods primarily in terms of protection. In a world full of promiscuous sexual activity, we are faced with a plethora of sexual infections. Indeed, if your lifestyle choice involves sleeping with many different people, or even one person who has slept with many different people, "protection" should be on the forefront of your mind. I wont go into the shoddy effectiveness condoms offer in this regard, but I did want to point out that I understand that condoms exist to protect against things other than children.

This post is not addressed to the swinging New York crowd, but rather to Christian suburban housewives. Outside the Catholic Church, very few denominations talk about birth control. Those that do focus on potentially abortificient chemical methods. Condoms, it seems, are fair game.

After the birth of our son my husband and I briefly used this method of birth control. It was beyond our scope that doing so could possibly be an affront to God or our own marriage. Only those silly Catholics don't believe in condoms, and we my friend, were not Catholic.

One day, after becoming increasingly active in the pro-life cause, I stumbled upon a discussion of birth control. I flippantly closed the window dismissing any ties that condoms and abortion may share. To prevent is one thing, to kill quite another! Right?

The seed of doubt was planted. I prayerfully asked God for direction on the issue. The answer was quite clear-Condom's "protect" the married couple from blessing.

"But God," I reasoned "you are sovereign, if you want a couple pregnant all condoms in the world wont stop it...your will is supreme"... and then it hit me- By using birth control I was telling God that MY will was superior and more perfect than his. Ouch.

I never intended to set my will above God's. Quite the contrary, I believed that God had given us birth control as Mercy and that we were welcome to use it. Everyone uses condoms! Try as I might, I could not make my act less subordinate. I wasn't going to die if I became pregnant, and though I had a sick child, a pregnancy would neither cure nor kill him. I was trying to control God's blessing- to control God- simply because I did not really want to be pregnant so soon after giving birth. I did not trust God with my life. I put my faith in latex.

The barrier that I thought was placed between my husband and I was really placed between my heart and God. Perhaps those "silly Catholics" were on to something.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • That`s kind of an interesting take on it. I`ve always thought contraception is a lot like sex itself: it can be a practice of either good or evil, depending on the people involved and their intentions.

    I`ve gotten to the point where I don`t trust contraception anymore. Right now, I am using mostly selective abstinence to "protect" myself from another "blessing." God sent me a wonderful husband who wants another baby, but I do not, and I am sticking to my "will." God can go right ahead and leave another "blessing" on our doorstep, becuase if He wants me to raise another one, I would -- but my womb is retired.

    By Blogger L., at 8:52 PM  

  • Lauren: another thought that has occurred to me is that people who use birth control do so for the same reasons other women choose abortion. If a couple believes that they have enough children, they should consider that at least 30% of women who have an abortion give this as one of their reasons.

    The sentence "I have enough kids, so I use birth control," could just as easily be "I have enough kids, so I got an abortion." Sometimes the former turns into the latter.

    By Blogger Young Christian Woman, at 10:01 AM  

  • Another argument would be that God created our bodies perfectly, so why are we trying to mess with what he created us to do.

    And don't forget God's first command: "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it."

    By Blogger Young Christian Woman, at 4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This template design was made by Akshamala at www.throughmyview.com