/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }
Powered by Blogger
         
About
Hi, this is my blog for all sorts of pro-life news, statistics, stories, and personal ventings. I am a wife and mother, as well as a nursing student. I I truly believe that abortion has failed women, and will continue to do so as long as it is legal.


Links


Previous

Archives


Extras

Monday, March 12, 2007

5 family meals for under $5 (#1)

  • This is probably a Meme somewhere, but I couldn't seem to track it down. The idea occurred to me today that I have several 4 person meals for $5.00 or less. They're far tastier than anything I've made of frugal recipes, and they don't break the bank!


So here are my list of 5 family meals for under $5.00
1- Chicken Pot Pie (in this article)

2- Spaghetti Al Cici

3- Not so messy Tacos

4- Easy Lasagna

5- Chicken, Bisuits and Rice


Chicken Pot Pie. You have no idea just how easy this recipe really is. This is one of those standbys that I cook when I'd really rather just order a pizza. I found this in the FREE Kraft cooking magazine [here] They substitute Neufchatel cheese for cream to cut fat, but I don't.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb* boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1 inch pieces.
*I generally only use two breasts and add in extra veggies. There is plenty of meat and this cuts the meat cost to about $2.00
  • 1/4 cup* Italian dressing. (low fat is fine)
*This is simply used to cook the chicken, so a turn or two around the pan is fine $.20?
  • 1/3 package cream cheese (or neulchatel) $.60
  • 2 tbls. flour $ negligible!
  • 1/2 cup* chicken broth
* I prefer to use bullion cubes. They are cheaper and you don't have to worry about how long that box of broth has been in the fridge. You can cut a bullion in half since it is only half a cup and safe the other half for another time. With this, the cost is $.06
  • 1 10 oz* package frozen mixed veggies
* I generally use only about 6 oz and my pot pies are more than full. $.75
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust*
* These come in packs of two, but I use a single layer pie, and thus need only one. $.75

Total cost-$4.36!
Feeds- 2 adults 2 children

Cooking instructions:

Preheat
oven to 375 degree F. Cook chicken in dressing in large skillet on medium heat 2 min. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until melted. Add flour; ,ix well. Add broth and veggies; simmer 5 min

Pour mixture into deep dish 10 inch pie plate. Arrange pie crust over filling; flute edges w/ fork. Cut 4 slits in crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake 30 min. or until crust is golden brown

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


This template design was made by Akshamala at www.throughmyview.com